Brownies are some of the most popular dessert items in the world and it’s not hard to see why. With a mixture of gooey sponge, lots of sugar, and a generous serving of butter, they’re just as indulgent as they are unhealthy. At least that’s the case for most brownies — but not these Paleo-approved ones! As anyone following this diet will know, finding easy-to-make Paleo desserts can be a challenge. So that’s why we’re so excited to share our Paleo brownies recipe. It’s delicious without being sugar-heavy, and only uses 7-ingredients to make!
Fudgy 7-Ingredient Paleo Brownies Recipe
Made with a surprisingly low number of ingredients, these brownies still deliver that classic fudgy taste and brownie texture. You won’t even be able to tell they are good for you!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 whole eggs
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips (or cocoa nibs)
- ½–¾ cup maple sugar (or dried, blended banana powder)
- ¾ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (or sea salt)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- ¼-½ cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F and grease a square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt your coconut oil and chocolate chips (or cocoa nibs) in a small saucepan on a low-medium heat.
- Mix the chocolate-coconut mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Mix until the whole thing takes on a rich, smooth batter consistency.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are firm and the center just set.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before eating.
What Do You Have to Look Forward To?
These brownies are going to be high in nutrients and healthier than your local bakery’s brownies, but they’re still brownies so be careful with serving sizes! Remember: a tray of brownies is a tray of brownies no matter what!
This particular recipe is also totally paleo so, if you’re following the paleo diet, you won’t need to break your discipline to indulge. Plus, they’re totally vegetarian and dairy-free. Even if you’re not following a paleo diet, replacing your common high-sugar brownies with this delicious alternative is a great way to watch your nutrition while still enjoying your favorite foods.
Healthy Brownies – Is It Possible?
Absolutely! These 7-ingredient brownies are not just paleo, they are also full of healthy ingredients! What kind of benefits do these brownies offer? Here are a few:
1. Less Sugar, Better Health
By replacing the refined carbohydrates found in flour and sugar, these brownies are far healthier: they will not cause the same blood sugar spike as normal brownies. Eating too much sugar isn’t only bad for your teeth, but is also associated with poor metabolic health, type-2 diabetes, and increased risk of heart problems in old age.
2. Healthier Fats
Coconut oil is a much better alternative to butter and it doesn’t ruin the traditional brownie flavor like olive oil would. This means that you’re replacing a poor saturated fat with a better-saturated fat. This is also a great choice if you don’t get enough MCTs into your diet, as coconut oil has a great concentration of MCTs.
3. Natural, Nutrient-Dense Ingredients
Cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, eggs, coconut oil, and arrowroot starches all contain far more micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) than their sugary, buttery alternatives. This means that you’re fueling your body, rather than harming it, when you eat these brownies (in moderation, of course).
If you’re looking for a delicious alternative to traditional, decadent desserts then this fudgy paleo brownie is a great choice. This allows you to keep your glycemic load lower, improve your fat intake, and replace processed foods with healthier alternatives.
Carly loves to keep fit, healthy and enjoys passing on any tips and tricks to her readers. She can be found in the kitchen cooking up healthy treats!